I can still remember when we visited Zambales and went island hopping. Worried about getting important stuff from getting wet, my mom placed our mobile phones inside a plastic bag. Talk about improvising, haha! Had I known about dry bags back then, we wouldn’t be using plastic bags which is kind of risky. Few months ago, I received a dry bag from Hull and Stern and now I am ready to share with you my thoughts about it.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="640"]
What I received is their Classic Adventure Dry Bag Size 10L in Sea Foam Green. This has the classic Hull and Stern design on front and has a glossy finish.
This bag is in Sea Foam Green and has the classic Hull & Stern design on front. This bag has a glossy finish - perfect for a spelunking adventure!
- Capacity of bag is 10 liters
- Made of strong water-resistant IPx5 tarpaulin
- Floats if dropped in water, helping keep items dry
- Heavy duty and durable, perfect for outdoor and water activities
- Folds flat, easy to store
- Includes adjustable shoulder strap and D-ring for attachment
- Can be worn at the back like a body bag
- Easy maintenance - just wipe with a cloth to clean (source)
The following are also available:
- Adventure Dry Bag in Nouveau (5L and 10L) - with small Hull and Stern logo/name print
- Customized Adventure Dry Bag (10L)
- Limited Edition Adventure Dry Bags (10L)
The bags are available in the following colors: Sail Away Blue, Sea Foam Green, Sea Salt Pink and North Star White. I think the only glossy bag is the green one.
The material used for the bags is IPX5 tarpaulin which is waterproof and has adjustable strap that helps you carry it like cross body bag. The bag is expected to float on water. Letting in some air before folding the flap at least 3 times then closing the buckle will help you determine if the bag is air-tight and water-tight. Please note the bags are not recommended to be submerged underwater. Hull and Stern specifically noted that you should put in appropriate packaging or cases all the electronics and gadgets you will bring with you. They will not be held liable when damage to these products occur.
Here's a proof that the bag really floats especially if air is trapped inside before closing it. My boyfriend is just holding the strap with no force of bringing the bag underwater.
What I also love about this bag is that it folds flat and can easily be placed inside your everyday bag. Once it starts raining, bring it out and place your things inside. This is actually not listed as another use of the bag on their website but I tried it anyways and, so far, it is working for me. What I do is I don't remove my things inside my everyday bag. I just put the whole bag inside my dry bag. Please take extra care in using this method because, as mentioned above, you still need an appropriate packaging for gadgets and electronics.
This video will help you understand how to use the product.
What I like:
- It actually works. I have used the bag thrice already (twice for stay in hotels with pool and once in a beach place).
- Easy to travel with because of the adjustable strap
- Holds quite a lot of products inside
- Easy to clean
- Affordable. I think their price is reasonable enough and they also give FREE SHIPPING for orders of Php600 above.
- Available locally
What I don't like:
- Limited choices for colors
That's the only con I can think of right now. For a first time user of a dry bag, I am pretty satisfied with what I got from Hull and Stern. I cannot wait for summer to come and be able to use this bag again!
I know Christmas is over already but if ever you are looking for something to give your friends or loved ones for a special occasion like birthdays, their customized adventure dry bag is a good item to get. You can have their name or favorite quotes printed on it.
For additional information, you may visit Hull and Stern's website.
Disclaimer: Product was sent for review purposes. All opinions are based on my experience with the products.